SVO Digest 07-28-97

Well,well,well....

To clear the air,  SVOASC@AOL.COM left involuntarily, and Joe Morgan left
voluntarily.  I consider Joe's leaving, a loss to the list.  If you didn't
learn anything from Joe, you just weren't listening.

First of all, I physically checked, and the FMS shifter knob, and the 87 GT
shifter knob WILL NOT screw on to a stock SVO shifter HANDLE, as I had
previously stated, in error.  The FMS knob is not as heavy, nor as nice as
the SVO's stock shifter knob.  An 87-89 stock Ford shifter is a short throw
model.  Adding the FMS knob, makes it look a lot like the stock SVO
shifter, for not a lot of beans, like about $59, almost new.  It is an
improvement over the earilier SVO Hurst shifter which was a long throw.  I
prefer the plastic 87 GT knob for racing.  Replacing the rubber handle
mount with anything you can come up with that's solid, will drastically
improve it's feel.  I used ball bearing races.  Metal bushings are
available from several vendors.  I was quoted $15 at Carlisle.  Replace the
bolts too.  Thanks to those who corrected me.

To install a 5.0 T-5 in a 4 cyl, have the input shaft ground down to the
inside diameter of a 4 cyl pilot bearing.  The shaft is easily removable
from the front.  Cost me $70 locally.  I highly recommend this modification
for earlier SVOs with the REALLY steep 4.03 first gear.  You'll want to
change the rear axle gears with this tranny, though.  I have 4.10s in mine.
 I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want 4.30s instead.

I have not received any FAQ input.  At the least, make a list of what
topics you think should be in the FAQ, and forward it to me, so we don't
have to rehash it for new members.

To post to the List, send mail to SVO-Owner@Smartworx.com or reply to the
digest.
If you send mail here, I will assume it is for the list.  I will often
reply from here, so if you reply to me, from here, it will go to the list.
Pay attention "who" is posting.  If you don't want it to go to the list,
put "NOT FOR LISTSERVER" in the subject line.

To send mail to me;
DCompton@Smartworx.com
DCompton@JNPCS.com

No one has to do anything, to receive the SVO Digest.  Figure once a day,
or whenever I damn well feel like it :)

The list will be "heavily moderated" from this point on.

TNKS
Dave