From: SVO-Owner <SVO-Owner@SmartWorx.Com>
To: 'SVO Listserver' <SVO-Owner@smartworx.com>
Subject: 84 intake
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:27:37 -0400

I replaced the intake manifold gasket on my 84 last night, it was leaking
air bad, after cleaning the motor off with Gunk.  Fel Pro intake gasket kit
with all gaskets, even non turbo, was 6-7$.

Noticed that the lower intake manifold ports at the head joint were WAY
smaller than the head's openings.  Like, half sized. hmmmmmm

so.............

It takes a while to do, cuz you gotta remove like about a 1/4 inch of
aluminum all the way around the ports.  I didn't bother much with the
outside ends of the outside ports, cuz there's not much air going on there.
 Really concentrated on the short side of each port, and just making them
closer to gasket size, but, not even all the way out to the gasket line.

It really feels much better, very noticable off boost even.  If I could
keep the intercooler from blowing off, I'd know what it's like deep in the
boost.  Where IS that stupid bracket....

It's so much less restrictive now, the boost gauge "appears" dead.  I
REALLLY have to dig in to it, to get the turbo up now.  This is a good
thing. It means it's flowing more air, so the pressure doesn't back up in
the manifold, and it reduced the "load".

Highly recommended.  I cleaned the casting knobules off of the intake ports
in the head, too. But the head's ports were already sizable.  I already had
done the exhaust manifold.

I have a late intake manifold, It appears to have better ports, but I
wanted to play....

Besides, the 84 SVO is supposed to be the "slow" one, and I want to dispel
that, while appearing stock.

shhhhh, don't tell Joe... :)

CU
DaveFrom: SVO-Owner <SVO-Owner@SmartWorx.Com>