SVO Digest 08-19-97

You guys haven't been writing much, but people are asking if they've been dropped, so I figured I'd send something!  Don't be so nervous!  Maybe we're all just outside playing!

Everybody should still be subscribed.  I didn't "throw you off", you didn't "say anything wrong" etc.  :)  The mail system does have problems, though.  Just remember it isn't personal, it's technical.

I didn't send but a couple of digests last week, cuz there was no input.

I spent the weekend evaluating other mail/listserver packages.  That is why, if you sent mail this weekend, it bounced.  Sorry, but I gotta get something running and there's no other way to check it out.  Here's what I've found.

Currently I have XtraMail running as both List and Mail. This is cool, and has a better interface than anything else, but I'm having troubles with stability.  It does not support digests.  This software was donated by a listmember.

Cory suggested Mercury.  This reportedly works well, and will do what I need, but I need to resolve some configuration, and support issues.  It does support digests, but not archives.  It's free.

I downloaded LSoft's ListServer lite and LSMTP packages.  This works well and is EXTREMELY fast.  This is the software that runs the Merkur list.  Comparing my server to the server that LSoft uses, for Merkur,  they're relatively close.  And the Merkur list shares that box with 375 other lists.  We will not be. :)  It supports web based archives and digests.  This one is not free though.  $750 for the first year for the LSMTP/ListServ package, $250 yr after that.  Ouch! Hey I already bought the server and the hosted connection. :)

I can tell you *this* about the new list to come.
Since AOL floods the mailboxes of America with install disks, anybody can get a bogus email account in minutes.  So I will be requiring, personal contact info, phone address, etc. from list members in the future.  I need to know who is on this list, and how they can be reached.  I may even implement a callback or authentication mailing of some type.  I'll try not to have this process, be intrusive or inconvenient, but I will not have something I bought, built, and maintained, be abused by inconsiderate people.  And it's already happened once.  I aim to prevent it, if only to make this list something that every member can enjoy.

Technote:  Check your EGR valves!  I found mine COMPLETELY coked shut this weekend. I had to completely disassemble it and chisel out the deposits.

BTW, The Borg Warner TPS from PepBoys $37, has nice long slots for adjustment :)
It sure was annoying have to go buy a TPS when I'm surrounded by Merkurs, but they use the small TPS connector, and my 84 SVO has the large connector :)

"Going to Philly, Philly Tim here I come...."

Enjoy!
Dave