Re: exhaust

Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:55:23 -0400
To:  "Carl Wahlin (UND)" <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
From: mjs195@psu.edu
Subject:  Re: exhaust

Carl Wahlin (UND) wrote:

> Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:36:18 -0400
> To:  "UND" <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>,
> From: cwahlin@tampabay.rr.com
> Subject:  Re: exhaust
>
> I'm having a friend of mine, Scott, help me. He's on this list as well. I
> don't know how much it would cost to have it done. Depends on how long it
> would take I guess. I welding shop takes about $40 an hour I think... I'm
> not very good at these price estimations :)
> Carl Wahlin
>

> > >  I just ordered a few 3" Mandrel bends from Summit, and I got a hold of
> > 3"
> > >  3 chamber flowmaster. What I'm going to do is use the downpipe from my
> > >  Turbo Coupe, but only around emission check time. Then, the rest of
> the
> > >  year, I'm thinking of having a 3" downpipe without a cat...
> > >  Carl Wahlin
> > >
> > Cool, Are you installing it yourself?  What do you think I should look
> for as
> > a reasonable price to have someone install a 3 inch system similar to
> what
> > you just described??
> > Thanks again,
> > Brett - 85' TC Looking to get a single 3inch exhaust.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, I don't think a 3" exhaust is
necessary on a 2.3 turbo street car. A 2.5" is more than adequate from
what I can see. One of my friends runs a high 10 sec GN and he uses a 3"
single, but I doubt that a street driven 2.3 will ever see need for that
large an exhaust. On another point, the turbine outlet on the stock
Garret T-3 on 83-86 TC's is only 2.25", the IHI found on the 87-88 is
2.5". Neither would hardly accept a 3" downpipe without modification or
a reducer. I used the 87-88 complete exhaust on my 85 TC (required
modification to fit turbo, stock mufflers, minus cat at the track and
could not see a difference between this system and completely open
exhaust. The car was a fully loaded 85 2.3 liter TC, 5 speed, stock 3.45
rear, and BFG ZR radials, and was running 13.80's. If you have to have
it, go 3", otherwise save your money for other go fast parts.

Mike Sitar
87 TC
85 TC was 2.3 powered, then twin turbo 351W powered, then dodge ram
powered. (now totaled)