Re: exhaust

Date:  Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:15:20 -0400 (EDT)
To:  Carl Wahlin <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
From: shidel@suntan.eng.usf.edu
Subject:  Re: exhaust

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Carl Wahlin wrote:

> You are a gluttin for punishment.... that will be a lot of work every two
> years!!

Alot of work?  Carl isn't afraid to jump rite in and work on his car.
Besides, how long would it take any mechanically apt person to swap a down
pipe? maybe half hour? Hell, wouldn't even have to count the time it takes
to lift the cat if he does it during an oil change.

> It is my understanding that the new high flow cats help emissions
> just as much as the stock ones but flow as effieciently as if they weren't
> there.

True.  We put a turbo on my friends VW truck(someone on this list knows
what the taillights of it look like:), jus kiddin), and when the exhaust
was run, it got a 2 1/2" single exhuast from a muffler shop, with a 2 1/2"
cat, and no muffler.  After a few months(of alot of mixture tuning and so
forth), the exhaust started to rattle in the front.   The guy that did the
exhaust said that we may have run it way rich for some time while tuning,
and we did, and that may have clogged the cat.  He told Pat to beat the
brick out and see what happens(he would not warranty it cuz it was turbo'd
and the rich mixture may have ruined it).  Well beat the brick out, knock
still there, but the performance was basically the same...the cat didn't
hurt any.

 And if you ask me, I personally think that the SMALL amount of
> horses you get from taking the cat off won't be worth having to play
> around with your exhaust system every two years.  Just my $0.02.

Well, I am the one who talked Carl into what he said in the first place.
But th reason I sugested it was not cuz of power, but the fact that a 3"
pipe can be had for 100 bux even with no cat, but cost 285 with one.
Thats alot of money for a college student.  Our time is worth alot less to
us than our money.

------>89 SHO 15.3@88(or something)..4 sale..wanna buy it?<----------
->86 Escort..not even worth mentioning..but gets me where I gotta