Alternators

Date:  Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:30:00 -0600
To:  Carl Wahlin (UND) <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
From: caroth@holly.colostate.edu
Subject:  Alternators

What luck, both of my SVO's had the alternator die within the same week.
$30 for new lifetime replacement sure beats the Cop Car alternator for my
old 89 5.0.  I noticed at the track the other night that I was getting a
miss in 3rd gear.  I was almost like I had a hole in one of the Intercooler
hoses.  I checked all of the hoses, but could not find a leak.

If my altenator was not producing any power and the battery was low, would
this account for the miss in the engine? It was only under full
boost(15psi), the car ran fine with no boost.  I am thinking that the
increased cylinder pressure under boost was blowing the spark out with this
halfway trashed alternator.  Is this line of thinking correct?

Chris Roth @ work....shhhh don't tell my boss
caroth@holly.colostate.edu
85 SVO (Bright Red)
86 SVO (Silver Metallic)