Clutch / Ignition Problems?

Group,

I recently have been having trouble starting my 84 SVO.  It seems every
fourth or fifth time I turn the key, it won't start.  If I mess around
pumping the clutch into just the right position, it will start right up.
Having to
mess around with this "shorted?" wire running from the clutch to the starter
is becoming annoying.  I'm not sure wether this wire, telling the starter
that the clutch is engaged, is an open or closed circuit.  Is there some way
to disconnect this wire so I don't have to worry about it.  Some one said
there was just a switch you can hit which is located by the clutch.  Is this
something that's just not on the SVO, or am I not looking in the right
place?  Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Dave

Dave
ddstippi@students.wisc.edu