Re: Alternators

Date:  Thu, 28 Aug 1997 07:30:02 -0700
To:  Carl Wahlin (UND) <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
From: edward_lutz@INS.COM
Subject:  Re: Alternators

Yeah, this sounds feasible. A bad alternator, allowing the battery to go
down will show at higher rpm and/or under a heavy "ignition load" such as a
high boost situation. Car will run OK at lower rpm while cruising. At least
until the battery dies.

Ed

At 04:03 PM 8/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Date:  Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:30:00 -0600
>To:  Carl Wahlin (UND) <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
>From: caroth@holly.colostate.edu
>Subject:  Alternators
>

>What luck, both of my SVO's had the alternator die within the same week.
>$30 for new lifetime replacement sure beats the Cop Car alternator for my
>old 89 5.0.  I noticed at the track the other night that I was getting a
>miss in 3rd gear.  I was almost like I had a hole in one of the Intercooler
>hoses.  I checked all of the hoses, but could not find a leak.
>
>If my altenator was not producing any power and the battery was low, would
>this account for the miss in the engine? It was only under full
>boost(15psi), the car ran fine with no boost.  I am thinking that the
>increased cylinder pressure under boost was blowing the spark out with this
>halfway trashed alternator.  Is this line of thinking correct?
>

>Chris Roth @ work....shhhh don't tell my boss
>caroth@holly.colostate.edu
>85 SVO (Bright Red)
>86 SVO (Silver Metallic)

  Ed Lutz                          	(e-mail) edward_lutz@ins.com
  Network Systems Engineer             (Voice mail and pager) 800.601.8849
  International Network Services  	  (e-mail page) page_edward_lutz@ins.com
  575 Anton Blvd			   (client site phone) 714 975-4821
  Costa Mesa, CA 92626