Re: Alternators

Date:  Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:29:52 -0400 (EDT)
To:  cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu
From: RJTBIRD@aol.com
Subject:  Re: Alternators

Just wondering why a 3rd gear miss would indicate a leak in an intercooler
hose...
You get full boost in all gears, so what is it about 3rd that leads you to
think air leak?  (Don't get me wrong - Its possible, I guess. I just never
heard of such a thing.  Generally, a miss in one gear (as opposed to all of
them) is due to a faulty ignition system component (the load on the motor in
3rd is a lot higher than in 1st or 2nd and is why most ignition problems
surface in 3rd and higher) or an EEC problem and not a mechanical problem,
i.e. a hose leak, which would show itself in all gears).

PS  2.3T's go thru alternators waaaay faster than any other car I've ever
seen.  Seen one car munch 3 in one year. (I suppose 7200rpm shifts don't
help).

-RJTBIRD@aol.com