Re: TC Rearend

Date:  Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:10:01 -0700
To:  "Carl Wahlin (UND)" <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
From: 86svo@mail.alpha1.net
Subject:  Re: TC Rearend

Carl Wahlin (UND) wrote:

> Date:  Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:24:33 -0600
> To:  Carl Wahlin (UND) <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
> From: caroth@holly.colostate.edu
> Subject:  TC Rearend
>
> This may seem like a dumb question, but is the 87-88 Turbocoupe rearend
> have 4 lug or 5 lug axles?  I want to switch over to a 8.8 for my 85 SVO
> and found a TC Rearend with 3.55 gears.

The TC will bolt directly in.  It does have the bracket for the quads and
the same shock mounts.  It is, however, a 4-lug rear.  All the brake
equipment from the SVO should swap right into place with an axle swap.
The only problem that you might run into is that the axle
housing-to-caliper mounting plate is has a small 2" X 4" (guessing on the
size) metal bracket that is welded to it and then welded to the axle
housing.  This will have to be cut off (could probably be done with a
hacksaw and a little patience).  It's hard to describe acurately from
memory but this will get you started.

As to the other question about TC rears:

I'm almost positive that 8.8" rears only came on 87s and 88s.  the stick
cars are 3.55s and autos have 3.73s.  As for the LTD rear...I doubt that
it will mount the same.  LTD II's...maybe...but it won't have the
brackets for the quads.

Hope this helps.

Sam
85 and 86 SVOs