Re: TC Rearend

Date:  Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:32:38 -0700
To:  "Carl Wahlin (UND)" <cwahlin@helios.acomp.usf.edu>
From: 86svo@mail.alpha1.net
Subject:  Re: TC Rearend

> A friend of mine has an 8.8 rear from a Grand Marquis that has rear disk
> brakes. What kind rear and or disk brake swap could I do with my 85' Tbird
> TC??  The rear end w/brakes is fairly new and in decent shape so it would be
> nice if i could use it.

	If I had to guess, I'd say that the Grand Marquis 8.8 is not an option.  You
will probably find that it mounts completely different from a fox-bodied car (i.e.
control arms, shocks, etc.).
	To stay with a 4-lug set up and 8.8 rear, you probably want to go with a 87-88
TC or 93 cobra rear end.  This will give you an 8.8 housing (3.55 or 3.73 in the TC and
?3.27? in the Cobra), the motorsport m2300-c rear disk brake kit, and you can use your
wheels.  I've bought one for $175 in a junkyard for a '90 5.0, but have seen them for as
high as $650 in all ford/mustang yards.
	If you are okay with the 5-lug, try a late 80's Mark VII.  They should have be
8.8, might mount the same, and have the larger SVO rear disks.  I think the stock gear
is 3.27 in M7's.

Sam.