Re: Installed new parts, car runs like shit

On Sep 5, 17:10, Carl Morris wrote:
> Subject: Re: Installed new parts, car runs like shit

> Pretty wild, I've never heard of anyone with data that consistent.
> Even when I try to get data at the strip, I have a tough time because
> my motor's performance changes drastically depending on engine
> temperature and ambient temperature.  I don't think the 5.0's are
> as sensitive to temperature as my SVO is.

Intercoolers will do this. My brother road races a '93 RX7 TT, the first lap is
banzi, but once the intercooler gets warm, the performance falls off
noticeably.

> Speaking of which, I don't know what to conclude about my stock
> vs Tbird intercooler testing.  I didn't seem to gain anything,
> even when compared to previous nights results at the exact same
> temperature and 60' time.

Eight or nine years ago, I had a conversation with one of SVO's engine
designers (Tom Hutchison I believe...) and asked him why SVO hadn't done an
intercooler in front of the radiator. He said they tried it, but the pumping
losses due to the extra plumbing undid any gains from the cooler charge. My
fluid mechanics isn't all that current, but I recall that given constant
diameter, smooth wall pipe, each 90 degree bend is the equivalent of several
feet of straight pipe. That means the T-Bird intercooler setup adds many feet
of pipe between the turbo and the throttle body.

The SVO intercooler may not be in the best location thermally, but its
optimally placed for fluid flow.

I've run across some SAE papers about this sort of thing, I'll try to locate
them.

Gary Morrell
gmorrell@ford.com