Re: Installed new parts, car runs like shit

On Sep 8,  8:09, Carl Morris wrote:
> Subject: Re: Installed new parts, car runs like shit
> Gary Morrell wrote:
>
> > <inconsistent power due to temp>

> > Eight or nine years ago, I had a conversation with one of SVO's engine
> > designers (Tom Hutchison I believe...) and asked him why SVO hadn't done an
> > intercooler in front of the radiator. He said they tried it, but the
pumping
> > losses due to the extra plumbing undid any gains from the cooler charge. My
> > fluid mechanics isn't all that current, but I recall that given constant
> > diameter, smooth wall pipe, each 90 degree bend is the equivalent of
several
> > feet of straight pipe. That means the T-Bird intercooler setup adds many
> > feet of pipe between the turbo and the throttle body.
>
> I'm not talking about the aftermarket Tbird unit, though.  I was testing
> the 87-88 Tbird IC that goes in the exact same location as the stock
> SVO unit, but it supposed to be significantly better.  I think whoever
> told you that the extra plumbing wasn't worth it for a front mount IC
> was probably implying that a better design IC wasn't an option at the time,
> regardless of location.  I think a GOOD intercooler
> would justify the extra plumbing.

Sorry, I was confused. I thought you had installed the T-Bird retrofit with all
the plumbing that placed the intercooler in front of the radiator. The last
time I saw one of these, I remember four 90 degree bends and about 5 feet of
(mostly straight) tubing.

> Speaking of which:  I received the Corky Bell book on turbocharging
> via UPS on Friday.  Spent the weekend with it (much to my wife's
> dismay ;-), and I highly recommend it.  It rehashes a lot of stuff
> that someone who's into turbos would already know, and includes
> equations that are based on assumptions that I wouldn't assume, but
> I still learned a lot, especially regarding A/R ratios.  One of his
> first rules is "Never assume that any intercooler is better than
> no intercooler".  He refers to IC's like the stock SVO's as
> "interheaters" ;-) due to their location.

Does Corky have data to support his "interheater" conclusion, say from some
thermocouples placed in the inlet and outlet of the intercooler? Have you
considered doing this? The data would be invaluable to the list. I'd be willing
to get the equipment and meet you at Bandimere some weekend.

Rule of thumb, the no intercooler/intercooler breakpoint occurs when boost
levels exceed 7 to 10 psi, but its also highly dependent on factors that
influence detonation, like compression ratio, cylinder head design, available
fuel octane, etc. If the intercooler on the SVO is truly doing anything, and
you yanked it, you might have some detonation problems. Hey Carl, there's
another experiment you can run. ;-)

Gary Morrell
gmorrell@ford.com