[no subject]

>> I'm going to try to solve the scoop question once and for all over the
>> next few days. I've begun rigging up a pitot tube in the rear portion of
>> the scoop to measure the velocity pressure at varying speeds.

>I assume that's one of those "L" shaped tubes that fluids guys love
>that'll tell you which direction the flow is, too. ;-)  I don't
>suppose we could get a graph of airspeed (positive AND negative)
>in the scoop versus vehicle velocity...

I found myself musing about the scoop flow/heating problem in general.
Would there be any value in solving both at once by venting the bottom of
the IC to underneath the car?

side view
                             __________
                           /           \  existing scoop
			--/             \---------------------
                         /|             |\  existing gasket
                       -------------------
                       |                  |
                       |                  | existing I/C
                       --------------------
                       \|       |   |   |/
                       /        |   |   /   hypothetical I/C lower manifold
                    ---       --|   |--
                   /        /  -------
                   |       / |       |
   I/C vent exit   |       |  |       |
    tube                      |       |    turbo and outlet

It's not like there's much area in the scoop inlet, or through the
I/C -- a flattened duct might have a chance to route through by the
exhaust downpipe if the A/C hoses were gone.  By routing the duct to
below/behind the firewall, you might get out of the negative pressure
area and encourage airflow through the I/C the right direction.

If the I/C lower manifold were insulated, then you might also avoid some of
heat soak from the exhaust side as well.  Eh, probably not; by the time the
whole compartment warms, up, anything on the top is going to be cooking,
insulated or not.

ttfn,
-dB