Re: Corky Bell's Book

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 Mp23cc@aol.com wrote:

> Many people like the roller bearings for all out racing because they can
> handle greater thrust loading. For the street the cost is to high for most
> people. You can get most T-3 and T-4 turbos setup with a 360 degree thrust
> bearing in it.

by roller bearings u mean the flat Torrington style bearings used as
thrust bearings? if so, thats different.  From what i heard, alot of guys
are tryin to talk ppl into going with ball bearing turbos, meaning no
floating bushings.  U know the thing that the shaft journals ride on.
Also, when I was at the local turbo shop getting the stuff together to do
my home rebuild(easy as fallin off a log BTW, jus pay attn and ask
questions), he was askin if I wanted a steel thrust bearing cuz he heard
how I run the car.  I "chop" the throttle like crazyt on the line to get
it in boost while the clutch is still in.
But anyways, he was sayin that steel bearing was good for all but the most
abusive racers.  And i doubt that anyone on the list would abuse their
turbo to the point of needing the steel bearing, much less rollers.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta