Re: Spark Plugs

At 10:42 AM 9/12/97 -0400, Garcia, Jesus V wrote:

>During my stint behind the parts counter, the NGK literature gave the
>expanded surface area (created by the V notch), put out a bigger spark
>(in terms of area, if you can call it that).  Splitfire tried to copy
>the idea, but ran into NGK patent rights, and created the split tang and
>a $ 5.00 piece of junk.  My 0.02
>
>Has anybody thought about the ol' drag racing trick of indexing the
>plugs?

I've seen a demonstration about spark travel and Splitfires and just about
everything else, and from what I saw, I'd agree with you. Splitting the
spark makes two weak sparks. By some it's considered a gimmick. And the
Torquemasters that try to claim 2 HP per spark plug seems just a little
hard to believe.

On the other subject, NGK has a section on their Web site that discusses
indexing plugs.

Jim Dvorak
'86 Shadow Blue

Publisher/Editor, THE SVO CHRONICLES
Journal of the Mustang SVO Owners Association of Southern
California/Southwest Region

Mailing Address:
      Mustang SVO Owners Association
      7400 Center Avenue, Suite 109
      Huntington Beach, CA 92647-3039

            E-mail: jim@mustangsvo.org / jdvorak@deltanet.com
            Phone: 714-891-9835
            Fax: 714-891-6715
            http://www.mustangsvo.org

Plan Now: Fabulous Fords Forever at Knott's Berry Farm! April, 1998!

Contact Me for SVO Owners Association Membership Information which includes
the Turbo Times Newsletter