Re: Clutch Swap

DBROWER.US.ORACLE.COM wrote:

> "The shift handle is easy to get
> off, the bell housing bolts aren't easy but they aren't THAT hard,
> and pulling the driveshaft is a simple procedure."
>
> Hmmm, when I changed my clutch, I found pulling the driveshaft to be
> the single hardest part of the job.  Maybe I missed a trick, but getting
> the bolts off the diff was *hard*.  It seems to require a 400 ft/lb
> impact wrench, and a 12 point 10mm impact socket (or an inventory of
> 2 or three Craftsman non-impact sockets to rotate through lifetime
> warranty.).

I'll agree, you MUST have a good impact wrench with the correct socket
OR a long breaker bar and the car on a lift.  I've never done it
without one or the other, but I can imagine it would be awful.

Another thing I forgot about is the exhaust, since mine is no longer
a problem.  It can be somewhat of a pain if the bolts are badly
rusted.

> that's about right -- and while you're there, change the pilot bearing,
> just because it's already apart and it's easy to do.

I just assumed that everyone automatically does that ;-), and the
throw out bearing, too, of course.