Re: Fwd: The Alternator saga

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 FFASTSVO@aol.com wrote:

>   I am now interested in getting a higher amp alt. for my SVO.  Dave, did you
> check to see if that Co. makes a 100amp version?  Though, I belive someone
> said that the 100amp version won't fit our cars.  With the Esslinger crank
> pulley, charging (besides cooling) has been a problem, so much that I think
> my fuel pump and possibly the EEC are not getting enough voltage.  Has anyone
> tried the Unorthodox pulley?   Supposedly they claim not to have charging
> problems.  i duno if I should go with the Unorthodox pulley or the bigger
> alternator because they cost about the same. Then again my alternator is a
> generic rebuild, hence less amps than an OEM SVO alternator.

Does any one have any track times to say whether these pulley sets are
worth the headaches they cause? I have been toying witht he idea of
getting a set, but am not sold on the idea, alot beacuse of how I hear ppl
talk about their probs with them, and I remember my friends 5.0 when he
had race pulleys on it the volt gauge would read LOW with the stereo goin
at anything lower than 2000 rpm.
To me, unless they are not worth a good solid 2 tenths by themselves, I
think i would pass.  a tenth of a second is no way worth that trouble.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta