Re: 89' 4cyl tranny

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Bud Morton wrote:

> This is posted for a friend who's not 'online'
>
> >what is the gear ratios and torque rating for a 89 5sp tranny that's out of an 89 LX with 2.3 FI.
> >Reason being, I autocross my 84 quite a bit. Some courses are tight and require me to down shift into 1st...the gearing puts the rpms too high....if I go back into 2nd...I'm too low. I would prefer a tranny would a lower (numerical) first gear.
> >Is this tranny compatable to my SVO (is it a no brainer swap)?
> > any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks guys..Bud

The gears are the same, if not worse in the 89 for your problem.
The TC and non turbo T5's have a 4.00:1 1st gear, while the SVO will
either have the same gear or 3.50:1.  At best, the 4 cyl T5 from a n 89
will be the same.
If you get a V8 T5, you get a 3.35(I think) 1st, and from places such as
D&D, you can get gear kits to puta  2.95 1st in it.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta