RE: Upgrades to my car ATR exhaust

This sounds like a question of flow.

>I am considering
>the installation of a nitrous oxide system on the car, or a
>stainless steel header. Which should I do?

NOS is definately a cheap power adder but you always have to fill the goofy
blue bottle plus NOS is a "not all of the time" power adder.

The ATR header looks cool but $600 for "up to" 22hp, ouch.  I have been
talking to ATR for several months and found out some of their testing info.
 The 22hp IS with the downpipe ($299) and external wastegate ($279).  In
addition, you will need to buy the extention ($79?) to get the downpipe all
the way back to the cat-back flange.  So if you do the math,  that is over
$1250 for the 22hp.  But take that lightly, look at what else you get with
that $1250.

I think their downpipe is really cool but @ $585+ and you do not even get
the cat, maybe we should leave that addition alone until the car is the
"race car"

Another disadvantage to the header is that you will FRY your spark plug
wires unless you wrap the header pipes with insulation.  The insulation
will help with power, but then you can't see the shinny SS header.

Nick claims the ported stock exhaust manifold will give you 7-10hp on a
stock motor and even more when you start to open things up.  For $220 I
think that is a horsepower buy.

>Answer: I would go with the header first. Applied Technologies and
>Research (ATR, 1-864-972-3800) makes one of the
>stainless steel headers out there.

Better pull out the Gold card for this order. (personal opinion)

>With the header, you install it and never have to refill it (nor do you
>incur any future costs). Besides, it gives you additional
>horsepower with (or without) the nitrous if you should add the nitrous
>later.

Agreed!

>as well as a complete
>stainless dual 2.5" exhaust system with their own stainless
>mufflers.

I have this system on the 86 SVO and I like it for the most part.  The
quality is there but I am not sure I  like the routing for the pipes over
the axle.  I had/have problems with the left (drivers) side pipe rattling
on the frame rail above the axle and there is no room to rotate it towards
the center of the car because of the upper control arm.  The rattle is
seldom bur sometimes annoying.  I am waiting until after this weekend to re
adjust this.  Another quark is that the mountings for the polished SS
tailpipes are welded to the top of the pipe so the tail pipes are about
1.25" closer to the fuel tank.  Yet another is that the mufflers sem to
hang lower than the stock exhaust, but that is probably more noticelable
with new SS system.  I have not had any speed bump problems yet so no big
deal.

I do like the sound of the exhaust.  It is slight louder (than stock) at
idle and seems to be quiet as stock running down the highway.  But I am
deaf after last weeks 200 mile trip to Bandimere with just the downpipe!

Wow am I long winded...

Chris Roth
http://holly.colostate.edu/~caroth