RE: Upgrades to my car

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Sly, Dennis wrote:

> Question: I have a 1986 SVO that is pretty much stock and runs 14.80's
> in the quarter mile, but I would like to make it about
> a second faster. I already have installed a conical filter, a 3"
> downpipe with a Walker Dynomax 2-1/4" cat-back exhaust system,
> and a complete MSD ignition (6al and blaster 3 coil). I am considering
> the installation of a nitrous oxide system on the car, or a
> stainless steel header. Which should I do? If not one of these
> modifications, can you suggest another? I am really tired of just
> barely losing to mildly-modified 5.0 Mustangs. Please help me! --
> C.R.S., Metamora, Ill., '86 SVO
>
> Answer: I would go with the header first. Applied Technologies and
> Research (ATR, 1-864-972-3800) makes one of the
> stainless steel headers out there. You can order it with or without the

Bah. i could think of alot better ways to spend 500 bux.  What about Daves
Cam deal? thats 150.
also, look to front mouting an intercooler, even if its just the Turbo
coupe one.  Especially in Daves case, I doubt he needs a header yet.  His
car is almost stock.
Also if I had a 3" D.P. I would run 3" all the way out the back of the
car.  Your DP will flow more air than your tailpipes will btw in that
case.  A single 3" will flow more than DUAL 21/4.  U need to go to dual 2
1/2 to make it where the tailpipes arent restricting.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta