RE: upgrades to my car

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Sly, Dennis wrote:

> Ok. But don't you do need some back pressure to help the turbo spool up
> faster,  I did mean a 3" high flow catalytic converter that would be
> moved up stream to help produce back pressure.

Well, lets see..alot of the turbo works on a pressure diffrentail when it
comes down to it.  jus like a windmill.  the motor is on one side(hi
pressure) and the cat is on the low pressure side.
look at the windmill.  If it has a 15mph wind blowing across it, it will
go a certain RPM.  Ifyou were to take a big ass air source though, and
blow air thru it in the oppsite directon thru the outlet, it will slow
down.
Same with a turbo.  More restriction(backpressure) in the tailpipe will
only serve to slow down the shaft in the turbo, meaning more lag, and less
power cus that backpressure will be seen by the motor also.

> Wasn't there somebody on the list that had to drive home with only a
> 3"down pipe attached and almost went deaf.

I think they are exaggerating.  my pinto has no down pipe or exhaust at
the moment.  its not a performance thing, jus a time and money thing why I
dont have one.  Its a bit loud, but not unbearible..About as loud as the
average V8 car with 2 chamber flowmasters.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta