Re: Downpipes

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Chris Roth wrote:

> Scott,
>
> > Well, thats a fairish point.  But I personally think anyone that is gonna
> > take a 3" down pipe and attach it to a  pair of stock  mufflers and
> > tailpipes is missing the boat.
>
> I agree with you that stock mufflers are a waste if you want to go
> fast.  I put the ATR exhaust on for the cat back system and I am
> happy with the outcome.  I ran the car yesterday at the track and was
> able to run a 14.4@92 and 2.05 60' times (we got to run in the
> groove).  Before with just the downpipe I was able to get a best
> 14.5@93.7 with 2.13 60' times.  So the ATR exhaust did take some
> power away as expected but the car is as quiet as stock running down
> the highway.

O yeah, i agree that mufflers are not a bad thing!

> > Those pipes are intended for people that are going to do a custom exhaust.
> > the downpipe is the hardest part to get a local shop to do and do rite.
> > The cat back part is a no brainer.
> > Anyways, so what.  I wasn't talkin bad of the Classic Corral pipe.  I know
> > those are mandrel bent.  I was jus brining up another source.
>
> I also agree about that your other source (ETS??) is very expensive
> for the same piece as the Corral pipe but I was just bringing up the
> point to shop around and do not always go with dorks at ETS.

Always? Ihave a personal thing against buying from ETS..
www.eng.usf.edu/~shidel
then look for the Wall of Shame

I was talkin aboutr our very own Nick Mannarino.  I know a buy who bought
his downpipe and it was crushbent!!!!!!!!!  And he talks aobut Joe not
knowing what hes doin....Sellin crush bent 3" pipes speaks ALOT of his eye
for quality.

 I was
> not trying to flame you, just trying to deliver ALL of the facts to
> the group.

O np...its cool.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta