Re: Effects of Removing the Catalytic Converter

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Brian Guild wrote:

> Guys,
>
> What are the effects of removing the cat?  With less backpressure, is boost
> increased, decreased...or what?  I have replaced my cat with a straight
> pipe, and I'm having a hard time telling the difference in performance,
> except that it sounds a lot louder, and that's kind of cool!  Please Advise!

Should build boost a bit faster on a stock motor, thats aobut it.  if you
have alot of mods, maybe get more power.  Its not gonna knock your socks
off though.
I have said it on here many times I dont run cats, and when my freinds do
a custom exhaust I dont recommmend them.  But that is a decision based
soley on the fact that of cost..When your running a single exhaust, a cat
will easily double the cost of the setup.  And also, we prove that we
don't need them.  Most of my friends cars pass the sniffers easily, so
their not gross emitters like alot of the cat proponents would like you to
think.
But I dont think they are a restriction if you get one that is sized
properly.  if you wanna spend the extra for a hi flow cat, go for it.  if
you are not able to afford one, jus put gutted shell on.

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta