[no subject]

On Sep 24,  9:17, Chris Roth wrote:
> Subject: Re: Drag Racing?? maybe long, probably just rambling
> Everyone,
>
> >To all you drag racing SVO owners out there...have you ever thought
> >about stopping by the local SCCA event and trying out the course?
> >
> >Just a thought...:)
>
> You have obviously never been to an SCCA event in the Denver, Colorado
> area.  I participated in a couple of events back when I got my 5.0 and wow,
> what a bunch of rude snobs.  Plus they stick you out there to pick up cones
> for 2 hours so that you can pay $30 and get to run your car 3 times.  My
> PERSONAL opinion is that SCCA is poorly organized.
>
> I am hoping that Gary Morrell will prove me wrong with the upcoming event
> in Pueblo.  I already have the VR Gatorbacks mounted on my Saleen wheels to
> waste at the event.

Are you sure you were at an SCCA event?  Maybe you were at a Porsche Club
event? ;-)

I've been a very active member of the Continental Divide Region SCCA since 1992
and I've never encountered any rude snobs.  On the contrary, I've found this
group, and the Colorado Region group to be very helpful and friendly,
especially to newcomers.  If you indeed had an unpleasant experience, as a CDR
board member, I apologize.

As for making you shag cones and work, well, that's the way a club works. If
you want to play, you have to help with the event.

Local SCCA regions are not unlike most other clubs, 5% of the membership does
90% of the work. Since I'm timing/scoring/equipment chief for the CDR, I have a
unique perspective on this, because I'm one of the 5%. The 95% who show up to
have fun don't generally realize the amount of behind-the-scenes work that must
occur for an autocross or track event to take place. Someone has to contract
and rent the site, arrange for insurance, rent Porta-Johns, and make sure that
security will be there to unlock the gate. The event chairman must have a
course designer, chief of workers, chief of tech, and a Safety Steward.  Others
have to arise at 4AM and drive to Denver to set up the course, sometimes in the
dark, so drivers arriving at 7AM can walk it for familiarization. I have to get
the equipment trailer towed to the lot, sited, and have the timing equipment,
scoring computer and radio communications connected and running before I can do
any car prep or course walking. I often end up helping with driver
registration, entering drivers into the computer, of assisting with tech
inspection.

The SCCA is often accused of being overly rules and safety oriented.  The rules
part I can sympathize with, the SVO has been re-classed 3 times since 1992, but
the safety aspects I have to agree with: The SCCA is the safest, driving event
car club on the planet, period.  You're probably 1000X more likely to have an
accident driving the public roads to and from an autocross then at the
autocross itself.  If your car gets rejected at tech because your throttle
return spring is a rubber band, your brake pedal feels like there's a Nerf ball
in the master cylinder, or your race tires are showing cords, we're doing this
to save you and your car, not because we're pricks.  Rarely do we send someone
home because they don't pass tech - I've seen a half dozen folks band together
to fix someone else's car so that driver can run for the day.

As for the Pueblo event (which hasn't been scheduled yet), this is likely to be
an open track, Solo Trials-type event on the Pueblo Road Course. Drivers get 2
qualifying and 4 flying laps of the course.  The safety requirements for a
Trials event are even stricter than autocross, because the speeds are
considerably higher, ergo the risk goes up. My C-Prepared Taurus SHO sees
nearly 100MPH thru corner 4 on the Stapleton Airport Solo Trials course, which
is why my "family sedan" has a GCR legal roll bar.

Gary Morrell
gmorrell@ford.com