Re: Timing Belt Q

At 06:02 PM 9/25/97 -0600, Rod Lilak wrote:

>The last time I had my timing belt off it was real nervous prying the
>tensioner back and tightening it. Is the tool that Ford lists in the manual
>worth it for this endeavor, and does anyone know of a source for it ?
>

>Rod
>Rod Lilak		|  MooseWare Personal Computer Solutions
>Voice (719) 685-9174    |  Custom Software for Vertical  Markets

Rod,

Having done the install without the tool, I'd say that if you can find one
for under $15 or so go for it....it's got to be better than what we've been
using! You might check K-D or Snap-on or Lisle (sp?) for a cross-reference
of applications -- if they have one -- or talk to a service tech at the
dealer or the parts guy.

What I definitely wanted to get across is for you to change the idler
pulley -- some have suggested that once every other recommended belt change
-- but it's up to you. Ford stocks them and they run about $40 off the top
of my head -- not cheap mind you, but I'm gaining a new philosophy of
changing related stuff all at once. You can also get a nice heavy-duty unit
from Essential Turbo Systems or similar places.

Jim Dvorak
'86 Shadow Blue -- 1 of 69

Publisher/Editor, THE SVO CHRONICLES
Journal of the Mustang SVO Owners Association of Southern
California/Southwest Region

Mailing Address:
      Mustang SVO Owners Association
      7400 Center Avenue, Suite 109
      Huntington Beach, CA 92647-3039

            E-mail: jim@mustangsvo.org / jdvorak@deltanet.com
            Phone: 714-891-9835
            Fax: 714-891-6715
            http://www.mustangsvo.org

Plan Now: Fabulous Fords Forever at Knott's Berry Farm! Sunday, April 19,
1998! Visit www.fordcarclubs.org or contact me for more information and
day-of-show gatherings.

For SVO Owners Association Membership Information which includes the
quarterly Turbo Times Newsletter, send me an e-mail with your mailing address.