From: Chris Roth <caroth@holly.colostate.edu>
Subject: Now MSD
Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 4:37 PM

Brian,

>Regarding the MSD topic, and perhaps what Joe was talking about...
>
>I know of a piece made by MSD called the MSD-6BTM.  I believe BTM stands
>for boost throttle management, and to my understanding, this device will
>increase your timing, corresponding to your boost level.

I think this is kind of what Joe was talking about except that the BTM.
This is the description the MSD has on their web site:

Supercharged or turbo engines will benefit from the 6BTM in more ways than
one. Not only do the full energy sparks help burn the fuel mixture, it
allows the driver to retard the ignition timing based on the amount of
boost being produced by the supercharger. The timing is adjusted from a
dash mounted knob and can be retarded 1 - 3° per pound of boost with a
maximum of 15°. There is also a built-in adjustable rev control to protect
the engine from over-rev damage.

Is 15° timing retard good enough to hold the motor at 3000 rpm and built
boost?

I think it would need to be more than 15° based on the time that I ran down
the track (in my 5.0) with the spout connector in my pocket.  As I remember
the car popped quite a bit so I ran down the track at low rpms.

>Well, its an idea, but, I'm not sure it was the one you were looking for.
>I do have to say, tho, that this piece might be great for some of *our*
cars~!

I agree, it would be a great toy to have especially since I am already
having ignition problems.

Chris Roth
caroth@holly.colostate.edu
85 SVO (Bright Red)