Re: Brakes (I need one)

>Justin Condon wrote:
>>
>> I am having a problem putting new brakes on my SVO.  I can't compress
>> the calipers for the life of me.  I use a small vice (that I can fit in
>> the tight space) and can't get enough space to put the new pads on and
>> fit the caliper over the damn rotor.  Anyone ever had this problem?  Am
>> I crazy?  I don't want to ruin my calipers by applying ungodly amounts
>> of pressure to compress them so what should I do?  Any help appreciated.
>
>If you're doing the fronts, I don't know.  A C-clamp has always worked
>for me.
>
>If you're doing the backs, STOP!  You need to turn the pistons in.
>They make a special tool that hooks into the two small holes on the
>face of the piston and allows you to screw it in.  This mechanism
>is necessary for the emergency brake...
>
>--
>Carl_Morris@StorTek.Com

And be darned sure once the new pads are installed in the back to test fit
them to the rotors, and get the clearances as close to 3/32" as possible
before you apply the brakes. While the emergency brake adjuster is supposed to
rotate slowly out to self-adjust, if the amount is too great the adjuster can
pull loose internally, requiring a complete caliper disassembly to correct.

Damn near screwed mine up that way.

Regards,

Rod
Rod Lilak		|  MooseWare Personal Computer Solutions
Voice (719) 685-9174    |  Custom Software for Vertical  Markets

It's not just Software - It's MOOSEWARE !