RE: Differences in `84 & `86 turbos?

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Mike Ray wrote:

> Which would you recomend for a litely modified `86 spec motor (cam, K&N,
> factory psi on the turbo) that sees only street use?

Definatley the 63.  True there is more lag, but I dont think the lag is
bad even on a stocker, and if you modded your car the small one is jus
gonna slow it down.  Im suprised they did something like put the 48
housing on the SVO.  Reason is, cuz the 5 speed merkurs and Turbo Coupes
were all .63's(until they went to the IHI anyhow).  But the Turbo Coupe is
heavier than an SVO, so the lag TC should be more of a candidate I would
think to get the small houing, IMO....In short, theres really not a whole
lot to lose with the .63 housing, unless you are serious about towing a
boat or something:)

->86 Escort..12.06@57 1/8th mile:) ..but gets me where I gotta