Re: Differences in `84 & `86 turbos?

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 Mp23cc@aol.com wrote:

> All Merkur XR4TI 5-speeds came from Ford with .48 exhaust housing. Some early
> 85-86 auto had the .63 exhaust housing. All Ford replacemant turbo had the
> .48 exhaust housing.
> I now have a .63 exhaust housing on my car. I make more topend power, 330
> @17lbs of boost and 94 octane gas. But I run slower at the track then before.
> The stock .48 exhaust housing will work well upto almost 340-350hp. I will be
> going back to a .48 exhaust housing this fall. With the .48 we have seen 330
> ft lbs of torque @3200. With the.63 the same torque comes in at 3800.

You run at the track?  What are your times? Enquiring minds want to know!
Also, do you chop the throttle on the line to build boost, or jus roll out
and get on it?
Also, do you have any problems with the driveshaft breaking in any place?
Im thinkin about putting a T5 in my car now(dont even have it registered
yet:), jus so I can get a proven tranny and stong u joints.  The u joints
on the merk look like the u joints on a steering shaft.  Plus that Merkur
tranny shifts like crap anyhow.  how can anyone auto-x these things?  it
has to have the cheesiest shifter of any RWD car I ever felt...
->86 Escort..A/C, tinted windows, Alloy wheels, 5 speed, good shape
            $1000obo
->85 Merkur--Someone get this Escort of mine! I WANNA DRIVE MY MERK:)