Re: Intercoolers

Sly, Dennis wrote:

> Anybody no anything about these intercoolers. Are the same, better, or
> worse than the ones from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe?

> <picture of Rapido intercooler for XR4Ti>

It almost has to be somewhat better, due to location.  You'd have to
have access to the efficiency and pressure drop/flow data to know how
good it is.

Just off the top of my head I see one bad thing about it though.
Ideally the air would flow across the short direction of the
rectangle rather than the long direction.  Cooling is the same,
but resistance to flow is lower that way.

I *think* that there's a better design available from Spearco,
rumored to have been designed by Nick.  Here's some info from
their catalog as quoted by Neil Swanson on the Merkur list:

"a thoroughly engineered system for stock or modified 2.3 turbos.  Big core
(Nicks' size) for engines that flow up to 700cfm or twice that of stock.
At a stock rating of 205hp at 5000rpm the factory intercooler has a pressure
drop of 1.1psi.  The Spearco unit has a drop of .21psi.  This at stock boost
pressures.  A charge air reduction of 160 degrees or 20 degrees above ambient.

Spearco system will yeild a 16% hp increase at stock boost pressures. On a
modified engine producing 300hp or more it can add 40-50hp more.  Trying to flow
300-400hp worth of air through a stock intercooler is an excersize in futility.
At high flow rates, pressure drop rises and intercooler effectiveness is
reduced.  At high flow rates the stock cooler may only reduce charge air temps
40-50 degrees as opposed to more than 100 degrees with the larger unit".

They have a chart showing efficiency and pressure drop with the stock and
Spearco units at both 14 and 25psi boost pressures.

Spearcos' phone number is 818-901-7851.   Spearco sells the cores for Nicks'
unit and Rapidos'.