[2 Svo] Old Magazine Articles

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Carl Morris wrote:

> ET/MPH/60'		Mods
>
> 14.30/100/2.20		Ported out his air meter (probably no benefit)
> 			3" into 2 2.5" exhaust
> 			19psi boost
> 			Unported SVO head with supplied cam
> 			M&H street stickies w/skinnies on the front,
> 				both on Convo pros.
> 			All else stock.

He musta been lacking in the driving ability dept.  Joe ran his green
inectored 84 with a worse than stock exhaust, and the only mods being a
K&N and skinnies and mccrearies to a 14.30.

> 	* The interesting thing here is that his 60' time kind of
> 	* sucks for having good tires on.  The 100mph is good, though.

Thats why I htink he didn't know how to drive.. Those 60' times stink.
That mph is high.

> 13.48/102/1.90        Installed stock location Spearco I/C with fan
> 			Added fifth fuel injector at I/C outlet
> 			Motorsport roller cam (.420,272/284)
> 			HKS boost controller set to 23 psi on stock turbo
> 			Ported intake
>
> 	* Maybe the air wasn't as good for this run, but a 2mph gain
> 	* for all that stuff isn't very good.  It would appear to me
> 	* that the I/C helped, but the new fuel injector arrangement (?!)
> 	* and cam and extra boost basically did nothing, as we would
> 	* expect knowing what we know now.  He was just tryin' stuff...
> 	* The BIG gain was that he figured out his takeoff strategy!

Yep...I wouldn't be suprised if porting his intake hurt him, but the
other mods evened it out.  Then learning how to drive got his ET where it
should.  Cory, can you share your experiances on opening up the intake?

> 13.06/103/1.90		Ported exhaust, high flow turbo.
> 			Aluminum driveshaft and Liberty gears (now powershifts)
>
> 	* Not much gain here either, I'm mystified as to how you gain
> 	* 4 tenths with only gaining one mph and an identical 60' time.
> 	* Maybe one of the numbers is wrong somewhere...I suspect the
> 	* 60' time was actually a little lower for this run.

Well, powershifting does wonders for ET, especially turbo cars.

> This information was current as of the end of the 92 season.  His plans
> were to go with a 3 liter stroker setup for 93.  If he had stuck with
> the stock fuel system through the writing of this article, he would
> have had to do something about it before adding any more power.

Welp, when I saw him in the 96 seaason, he had the 3 liter, full on DFI,
and he only picked up 6 tenths in 4 years apparently..

->86 Escort..A/C, tinted windows, Alloy wheels, 5 speed, good shape
            $1000obo
->85 Merkur--Someone get this Escort of mine! I WANNA DRIVE MY MERK:)