[4 Svo] One more old magazine article...

Scott Shidel... wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Mike Fleming wrote:
>

> > Obviously not a good place to ever take your car. I haven't seen that
> > many cam lobe failures all combined and I've worked on hundreds of 2.3L
> > Turbo's and changed cams at least a hundred times.
> >
> You work on these things 40 hrs a week or something?  my god thats alotta
> cams!
> I think I would end up in a bell tower if I had to fanagle those damn
> rockers on 800 times!!!

With some practice and the correct tools (and new gaskets) it only takes
about 2.5 hours (on a cold engine). If you use big valve springs, poor
cam lube and keep the speed low on initial startup then you can have
problems but I think I'd have a hard time making a lobe run flat in less
than a couple of hours of operation even if I tried to. Yhey just don't
fail that quickly or that often.

And Yes, I used to spend alot of time on these cars.

-Mike Fleming