[13 Svo] How to adjust Throttle Body

Mike Fleming wrote:

> Good question. From a design point, if you're gonna not use the KS then
> you MUST stay away from the detonation side.

Right...

>  If you do run a KS, again
> from a design point, then you can "bounce off" the detonation limit and
> stay right on the hairy edge - without breaking anything.

I assume when you say "from a design point" you're implying "as
opposed to the stock computer's strategy of running as far away
from the hairy edge as it can get as soon as it hears anything
suspicious"?

> Again, a litle detonation isn't necessarily bad - but whose yardstick
> are you gonna use to say what a "little" is? In some engines if you can
> hear it, you're walking home but the 2.3L EFI Turbo is more like a truck
> engine so it stays together a little longer. Don't try this with the
> Porsche 930.

That's what the guys with the blown 5.0s say...as soon as you can
hear it, it's too late.  That hasn't seemed to be the case for us,
though.

> The early manifold design (and associated EEC strategy) allowed for
> engine-generated noises very poorly. THe later stuff is much "smarter".

Someday when I find a PE box for less than $300 (sorry, Dave ;-)) I
guess I'll find that out.

> On a stock engine you can gain at least 1/2 second in the quarter by
> LEANING the fuel supply at WOT cause it's WAY too rich for max power on
> petrol. Same for all years - the EEC commands a 10:1 air/fuel ratio and
> this is too fat. If you coule find an easy way to lower it to say 13:1
> then you;d gain about 25HP.

Speaking of which, when is someone going to take care of us on this,
or is someone already selling a calibration better than the stock
PE box and I just haven't heard about it yet...?

> Later EEC strategy narowed the window where it will listen for
> detonation - I wrote an article on that already if you want to search
> the SVOOA back issues.

That must have been the year my subscription lapsed due to graduating,
moving, and job hunting.  I've saved all the ones I've gotten.  Cool
stuff, though.  I would love to write the code, and then sit at a dyno
tweaking parameter constants on an EEC-IV.  Why couldn't someone just
make a generic EEC-IV replacement with one of those new high speed
wide band O2 sensors that would just adapt to whatever A/F ratio
you told it to?

> Now, from a testing viewpoint, did you reconnect the KS and notice the
> same documentable decrease in performance?

Nahhh, I was too interested in running consistently that day.  But
I'll do it next spring, just for you ;-).  I understand that it's
not "real" numbers until I do, but I've generated enough nights
worth of numbers to know what's up when I suddenly beat my best
mph ever by 2 mph in conditions that weren't as good ;-).