[Svo] Electrical/Starting Problems {1}

Brian Guild wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I hope someone can give me a hand in diagnosing my problem here.
>
> The scenario:
>
> My car died in the parking lot of my place of business.  I had it towed
> home.  We checked the battery.  It was a maintenence-required battery, and
> it was completely dry.  Added water, and I was able to jump the vehicle,
> and it ran, for a while.  The vehicle stalled when I hit the brakes, and
> activated the heater, and the defroster (ie. under much electrical load).
> After that, nothing got power, including the accessories, starter, etc.
>
> Now my car is just dead, and doesn't function in any way.
>
> A possible solution:
>
> I have purchased a new battery, and it was tested as fully charged.  It is
> a DieHard Gold Series 65, 900 cold cranking amps, therefore, it should be
> more than enough for this application.
>
> The CONTINUED PROBLEM:
>
> The vehicle will not start.  There is no power to anything.  The battery
> still measures 12volts + on the posts.  I have measured 12 volts + at the
> starter solonoid too.  The battery posts are as clean as they have ever
> been.  They have been stripped of all corrosion, as have the connectors,
> and covered with conductive, anti-corrosion jelly, so that is most
> certainly not the problem.
>
> Now, when I place a battery charger after the battery, but before the
> solonoid, everything seems to get power, including the starter, so I KNOW
> IT IS NOT BLOWN FUSES.  Plus, each and every fuse would have to be blown,
> since I can't get power to anything at all!  The battery charger will not
> allow me to start the car, because it can only supply a maximum of 6 amps,
> while charging, although it does seem to supply power to the fuses, as it
> allows me to activate my alarm, and turn the interior lights on and off.
>
> COULD THIS BE A GROUNDING PROBLEM, OR A FAULTY STARTER SOLONOID?  I CAN'T
> FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS PROBLEM COULD BE, AND I ALREADY HAVE A WEEK INTO IT.
> I AM PERPLEXED....PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS VERY MUCH!
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian

Brian,
    Check and clean Both connections on the solenoid, battery to
solenoid and solenoid to starter. Clean the ground end where it attaches
to the block and the block itself. Check your starter itself, make sure
it is tite and secure to the engine. And finally check that positive
cable to the solenoid, make sure it is not corroded or eaten up under
the insulation. Ditto on the negative as well (the cable would look
puffy and distended if it is) I believe your problem is the inability to
supply enough current through the starter to turn over the engine. If
this doesn't help post again.
 John Garasimowicz '87 TC