[Svo] Clutch Problems {4}

I'll sidestep any downshifting debates, but I've seen several organic clutch
linings go completely to pieces when exposed to even small amounts of oil or
transmission fluid.  Didn't the original poster mention recently replacing a
leaking rear crank seal?

The failure mode is also rather sudden: My neighbor's brand new Ranger truck
clutch was working fine one minute and then literally dropped dead in his
driveway. When we got it apart, the tranny side of the disc had no lining
what-so-ever, it was all in pieces in the bell housing.  His tranny rebuilder
had folded the input shaft seal, and to add insult, he told him to overfill the
tranny to prevent a bearing starvation problem.

Gary Morrell
gmorrell@ford.com