[Svo] What is this turbo? {3} {1}

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, JPC wrote:

> Hey guys, why doesn't anyone rebuild their Turbos themselves?  It really
> isn't that big of a deal.  If you buy a rebuild kit I think you can get away
> with only spending $100 if your housing isn't cracked (a little crack near
> the wastegate is normal though, as long as it's not too big).  I must be
> honest though.  I have taken apart my Garrett and don't know the exact
> torque specs for all the housing bolts and what kind of sealant they use on
> the bolts(I'm still in the process).  Has anyone done this besides me?  It
> can't be that big of a deal.  Comments, suggestions, BS?

True, but.....
Alot of individuals here dont want to mess with it, for one.  It is not
too difficult, but there are alot of small parts that are easy to forget
how they go on(comoressor seal comes to mind).  Also, the thing has to be
CLEAN to make it worth doin the job unless the turbo is trashed.  And the
cleaness spec most average people dont have readily access to either, as
it should be bead blasted.  And then bead blasting causes a problem in
that it throws off the balance of the shaft, and you must get it
rebalanced.  Then there ar the things like you mention, torque specs. No
big deal, but you need a torque wrench that reads in inch-pounds.

So its not that bog of a deal to do it, but its also easy to lose little
parts or forget how they went together.

And after all that, you have the question of "How much wobble is too much
wobble" after you put it together.  The shafts and housings can wear.

	TO4 and big intercooler in the works!!! wooo hooo!!
->86 Escort......
->85 Merkur--Someone get this Escort of mine!