SVO: Troubles

I've been having a problem lately with my 2.3l Turbo.  I've had it
since September '96, so a little over a year.  I've replaced everything
as they've gone bad, TPS, ISC, Knock Sensor, TFI, and EGR.  One part
that keeps going bad on me is the VAM, I've gone through 4 and the 5th
one just went bad after sitting a week.  I'm getting 5.0v's going into
the Meter, and about 1v coming out.  How do they go bad? I don't know.
Code 26, what I always get and it goes bad at around 2500rpm's, where
the car totally dives, then power is back to normal at 3000rpm.  Went
through the last 3 w/ a Multimeter, on and off the car.  There's a point
where when you're opening the flapper, the needle starts going back
down, then back up.  I've tested the Wiring from the ECU Harness to the
VAM Connector.  I've even replaced the ECU at one point.  One thing that
is common when they go out is when it's cold out, about 50 degrees.  I
went through a VAm about once every 2 months.  This summer I had no
problem for 4 1/2 months, then about 3 weeks ago it went bad.  Even with
a SuperChip it has the flat spot.  Any comments or suggestions would be
appreciated, Thanks.