Re: SVO w/ABS

Scott Shidel... wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Carl Morris wrote:
> > I was also thinking, if junkyard ABS stuff is out there that fits on
> > our cars, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard for a hacker that
> > liked to get his hands dirty to put the axles w/rings and sensors on,
> > and make a simple traction control system.  I don't mean a complicated
> > one that lets off the gas for you, I just mean a simple one that would
> > open the wastegate whenever slip got too high.  I guess you'd also have
> > to have rings and sensors on the front, thought, so you'd have a signal
> > to compare against :-(.
> >
> I would rather jus slip the clutch.  That way I can keep the power on
> intead of dropping the boost, then waiting for it to build back up and
> stuff....

Disregarding the obvious downside to clutch slipping ;-), I think that
an electronically controlled wastegate might work better.  It would be
much faster than letting off the throttle and then getting back on it,
so I don't think there would really be much lag as long as the RPMs
weren't too low.  I'd have to try it, and that would require doing
something rather than just thinking about it ;-).

Now that I think about it though, maybe you're right.  The real answer
is in an electronically controlled clutch like Ferrari is messing with.
I saw an article a year or two ago about their attempt at this, and it
seemed to work pretty well.  You just redline the motor and drop the
clutch, and the computer slips it just the right amount for maximum
acceleration...you'd probably need a carbon fiber clutch to take the
abuse for very long, though.