Re: SVO: hard shifting?

On Nov 13, 10:30, SVO8ntno50@aol.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: SVO:  hard shifting?
> In a message dated 97-11-13 03:05:15 EST, Kenny.Baxter@Ebay.Sun.COM writes:
>
> <<
>
>  I know a lot of folks that run gear oil in their transmissions--but all
>  of those vehicles see serious track time with the Shelby club.  On the
>  track it may help because of the severe driving conditions and extreme
>  heat.  For daily driving, the only value-add I see is a stronger right
>  arm...
>
>  --Kenny
>   >>
> Do Not Under Any circumstances use Gear oil in a late model T-5. It will
> aside from the obvious hard shifting cause failure in the transmission
> sooner or later. The gear oil is too thick and does not properly lubricate
> the trans. I don't know about pre 86 T-5's but will confirm this on my 84
when
> I drop the trans out of it in a few weeks.
>
> Paul
> red 86

Late model T-5's ('86 an up if memory serves) use synchro blocker rings with a
friction material bonded to the ring's inner surface. High sulphur gear oils
will cause the linings on the synchro blocker rings to delaminate, leaving you
with powdered metal blocker rings, which will make shifting extremely
difficult.

Use any good organic ATF, or, to improve shifting in very cold temperatures,
use a full synthetic ATF, such as Redline MTL, Redline DEXRON 4, or Mobil 1
ATF. Compared to organics, synthetic ATF's have very linear viscosity -vs-
temperature profiles, as such, they don't get thixotropic at low temperatures.
At high temperatures, they also better maintain their shear film strength,
which helps prevent gear clatter and is important for good synchronizer action.

Gary Morrell
gmorrell@ford.com