Re: turbo swap follow up Q's

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Cory Erickson wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Joseph L. McMullen wrote:
>
> > Cory & friends,
> >         I have a 1988 TC And want to swap in the turbo in a 88 Mustang.

> > valves, I had to use a crane HI-6 and a timing computer to circumvent
> > EEC-IV timimg control which defaults at 10 degrees with these changes.
>
> I assume you have DIS (no distributor).

The DIS stuff didn't start till like 91 or so...

> > Mustang has speed density. Will turbo vane system require similar bypass
> > of computer timing control, or will it adapt to changes like 5.0 mass
> > air? Also milled head by 40 thousands to increase compression to approx
> > 10-1. Can I double up on Fel-Pro head gaskets to lower compression or
> > does someone make a thicker head gasket? Don't want to tear down to
> > change these expensive pistons. Or can I run with high compression at
> > the max of 15 lb. boost? My MSD non-programmable timing computer can
> > retard the timing by 4 degrees but higher numbered chips are available.
> > This is via a manually operated switch not tied to boost.
>
> Wow...well you kind of have some wiring issues to work out. If you have
> DIS, then you have to convert to the distributor system/harness/EEC of the
> TC. The turbo 2.3's are also speed density and there are no real mass-air
> conversions that work on the market (to my knowledge anyway). It sounds
> like the motor alone might have detonation problems at 10:1, it will only
> get much worse if you try and add 1 bar. Have you thought about nitrous
> instead? It sounds like it would be much easier than trying to retrofit a
> turbo on your engine.

I would agree to stay away from the turbo on that longblock.  Kinda funny,
if you still had low compression, you would be down about
10hp........until the turbo kicked in:)
But cory, the DIS stuff didnt come out until the 90's, which at the same
time they got the roller cams and the mass air.

	Big intercooler ON!
	T4 Compressor soon to be on!
-85.5 Escort, SOLD!
-85 Merkur, let the modding begin!