SVO: Re: Some Ideas on Preformance Exhaust For The Turbo Coupe

>  I know a Guy that has his own muffler shop. He says you could use a
> mandrel bent EX from a mustang ( I think it was an LX)

On an SVO, yes.

> It can be used
> in the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe if you weld on about a foot of straight
> pipe from the tailpipe to the muffler.

True, gonna do the smae thing to the Lincoln...

> same size . He said for the price it's not worth it. He told me you
> can go 2 ways with cat: 1- buy a "3 stock cat from a big block V 8 and
> weld it in or make flanges to make it look stock and  then fight with
> the inspection station, or 2- take you'r stock cat and do a port job
> to make the less turbulent and flow better which is cheaper and is
> less problem at the inspection station and is very close to the "high
> flow" type of cat. He said you really not going to see any results
> with a 3" cat unless you go radical with your engine and at that point

I disagree, but have no facts to back it up other than saying, look at the
two 90degree bends that the exhaust must take.  This can not be cured by
porting, only by replacement.
#" cats are not that much.  $150 or less, if you shop around.

> He did say a 3"
> down pipe would help but not as much as a bigger tailpipe/muffler
> which needs to be changed first to make a down pipe flow better
> anyway.

I don't agree, but only have my observations to go on.  Granted both is
better, but as exhasut gas cools it  needs less space.  That's why a stock
system diminishes in size from front to rear.  Ergo, make big tubing
(downpipe) at front.  Yes, the rear will help too, but I believe that the
improved compopnets contribution to poewr is almost equal.

> He use to like the FlowMaster
> mufflers (and still does because their a heavy gauge)  but he showed
> me a new Dynomax muffler that just came out that are inexpensive and
> are copied from the Borla muffler we put the 2 side by side and they
> are very much the same.

I prefer the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, for their quietness, durability
and flow.  They're also cheaper than the competion.  I have a Flowmaster in
my single exhaust, and it's too loud.

> Another neat trick he told me was to wrap the
> exhaust from the head to the turbo and the EX turbo housing its self
> to keep the gasses hot or in a expanded state so your turbine can get
> up to speed faster.

This works like you think, but it will destroy all thes compenents in short
order.  Do NOT do this!

Dave
http://www.SmartWorx.com/Listserver