Re: SVO: Re: Some Ideas on Preformance Exhaust For The Turbo Coupe

Dave,

   From what I'm seeing, it sounds like I could do the following with my
86 SVO exhaust (???):

     Get a 3" downpipe (sans cat) from Classic Corral (about $130)

     Get 2.5" DynoMax cat-back exhaust kit for a 5.0 (about $250)

     Use the stock y-pipe

   Will all of that work?  Can I just bolt it up myself, or is there
more to it than that?  If I can get away with that for around $400 buck,
I think I just might be able to afford a Xmas present for myself--an ATR
header!

   Thoughts, comments, advice--all are welcome!

   Thanks Dave!
   -kenny

> To: Multiple recipients of list SVO <SVO@SMARTWORX.COM>
> Subject: SVO:  Re: Some Ideas on  Preformance Exhaust For The Turbo
Coupe

> >  I know a Guy that has his own muffler shop. He says you could use a
> > mandrel bent EX from a mustang ( I think it was an LX)
>

> On an SVO, yes.
>
> > It can be used
> > in the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe if you weld on about a foot of
straight
> > pipe from the tailpipe to the muffler.
>
> True, gonna do the smae thing to the Lincoln...
>
> > same size . He said for the price it's not worth it. He told me you
> > can go 2 ways with cat: 1- buy a "3 stock cat from a big block V 8
and
> > weld it in or make flanges to make it look stock and  then fight
with
> > the inspection station, or 2- take you'r stock cat and do a port job
> > to make the less turbulent and flow better which is cheaper and is
> > less problem at the inspection station and is very close to the
"high
> > flow" type of cat. He said you really not going to see any results
> > with a 3" cat unless you go radical with your engine and at that
point

> I disagree, but have no facts to back it up other than saying, look at
the
> two 90degree bends that the exhaust must take.  This can not be cured
by
> porting, only by replacement.
> #" cats are not that much.  $150 or less, if you shop around.
>
> > He did say a 3"
> > down pipe would help but not as much as a bigger tailpipe/muffler
> > which needs to be changed first to make a down pipe flow better
> > anyway.
>
> I don't agree, but only have my observations to go on.  Granted both
is
> better, but as exhasut gas cools it  needs less space.  That's why a
stock
> system diminishes in size from front to rear.  Ergo, make big tubing
> (downpipe) at front.  Yes, the rear will help too, but I believe that
the
> improved compopnets contribution to poewr is almost equal.
>
> > He use to like the FlowMaster
> > mufflers (and still does because their a heavy gauge)  but he showed
> > me a new Dynomax muffler that just came out that are inexpensive and
> > are copied from the Borla muffler we put the 2 side by side and they
> > are very much the same.
>
> I prefer the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, for their quietness,
durability
> and flow.  They're also cheaper than the competion.  I have a
Flowmaster in