Re: SVO: Re: Some Ideas on Preformance Exhaust For The Turbo Coupe

Nick wrote:

<snip>
>size that is to small.  The bigger downpipe acts like a big expansion
>chamber. It will let more exhaust exit the turbo in less time the the stock
>pipe. The turbo will spool up faster the higher before the backpressure
>builds up from the rest of the exhaust system. If you have a 2.3 turbo it
>will work much better the stock downpipe <snip>

I agree with Nick on this.  By providing a larger cavity immediately after
the turbo and before you reach the CAT you allow a higher velocity exhaust
surge to flow through the turbo.  After all exhaust flow at the manifold
flow is not constant, it comes in surges.  Part of the surge will be
absorbed by the compression of the gases in the cavity of the down pipe,
because of the restriction at the CAT (assuming you have one).  This is
assuming that the turbo will spool up faster w/ short high velocity surges
as opposed to longer duration lower velocity surge.  As to how big a
difference between the stock and the 3", I have no idea.

Carl Haines
86 SVO