Re: SVO: Ford Inventory Liquidation Sale ????

At 11:57 PM 11/17/97 -0500, Scott Shidel... wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Floyd wrote:
>> >
>> >       MERKUR materials are currently being deep discounted. 10/97.
>> >       To order from the '97 Ford Inventory Liguidation Sale call:
>> >       1-800-871-9488; this is the direct number to Leila.
>> >
>Anybody know what they normally cost?  If they are on sale, i would like
>to know I am getting the sale price.  I just hope the "entrepeneurs" on
>this list didnt already buy up all the copies in order to make a killing
>on them 3 weeks from now.....

The full Helm sets run about $110 (I have a price list somewhere) and you
can get the discounted ones for about $75 or so. I doubt any entrepreneurs
are going to make a killing on them -- they're not that cheap after you
include their shipping & handling charges, which are pretty high.

Sure, the Helms are now cheaper than if you ordered them 10 years ago, but
compared to a good Chilton manual, or what's available used, they're not.
And don't forget, each Helm volume will cover a broad range of Fords with
similar components, not just the Mustang.

Most people I think would be happy with the Chilton #8580 -- this big book
is pretty complete, and has a lot of the same diagrams (exactly) as the
Helms. I've got just about every other repair manual out there, and many
other books don't even mention the SVO had rear disc brakes, let alone
describe how to repair them -- just for an example. I recommend the
Chilton. (Chilton also puts out a smaller manual, but it's not as good.)

If you're really serious about working on your SVO and keeping it factory
original -- get the Helms -- the complete set. Wiring diagrams and
everything they offer for your year. And expect to wait 2 months for your
complete shipment. It's got every little diagnostic procedure down -- but
you have to be a friggin engineer to figure out some of them.

If you work on your car only when you have to; and leave the extremely
technical stuff to the experts (even though it describes just about every
procedure you'd ever get into), get Chilton #8580 -- It covers everything
to the extent that the average shade tree mechanic wants to know -- and
it's available just about anywhere -- auto parts stores, some dealers,
Barnes & Noble, etc. Runs about $20 or $30, and you don't have to wait 2
months.

Jim Dvorak
(Temporarily Offline Until Next Week) http://www.mustangsvo.org ***
http://www.fordcarclubs.org