Re: SVO: Knock sensor???

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Samuel M. Hanks wrote:

> List,
>
> 	What's the deal with unpluging the knock sensor.  I've heard of a
> lot of people doing this on the dyno and the strip.  Is it safe on
> the street?

Depends on who you listen to.  If you listen to people that get outdoors,
and have cars that actually run faster than a 14 second ET, they will tell
you disconncet it, and as long as you listen for the pinging and make sure
it doesn't, your ok.  If oyu listen to the computer/theoretical/never had
a fast car crowd, they will tell you to leave it plugged in and the
computer knows best.
I have mine unplugged on the Merk and the Pinto and guess what? No blown
head gaskets yet!

> 	Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the sensor picks up knocking it cuts
> the timing back, right?

Yep, and the sensor can also pick up a noisy valve train or anyother
impact to the motor and mistake it for a knock and retard your timing for
no reason.