Re: SVO: XR racing, and downpipes...

I find it real funny that anyone who has ever  installed a 3'' downpipe on
their car find it runs much better. Fluid charts or better yet a theory tells
us it does not work, well  so much for rocket science.  A 3'' downpipe will
act as an expansion chamber with the exhaust. It will reduce the exhaust flow
turbulence out of the turbo. As you step on the throttle, the turbo starts to
spool up. How fast will depend on how much exhaust gas passes by the exhaust
turbine wheel. If you can move more exhaust gas by the turbine wheel the
turbo will spool up faster. If you have a bigger downpipe then stock you will
have less flow  resistance and less turbulence, both will help flow more
exhaust. Now the turbo spools up to speed faster even with the stock cat.
With the 3' downpipe you have more volume to fill between the turbo and the
cat. The backpressure will build slower then with the stock downpipe. By the
time the backpressure reaches the same backpressure as the stock set up the
turbo has spooled up much higher then it would have been before.  This is why
will gain alot of lowend power with the 3'' downpipe. The larger volume will
also cool the exhaust gas better before it enters the cat. When G-tech tested
on a Merkur with a dual Borla system, our 3'' downpipe added upto11 hp over
the 2.5'' Borla downpipe. Just unbolt the Borla 2.5'' downpipe and installed
our 3'' downpipe.
More lowend, mid range and more topend, the 3'' downpipe works great on any
2.3 turbo street car. Even you Scott with your opend exhaust would find more
power. You may not have much backpressure with you open downpipe exhaust
system. But you do have more turbulence and this will be less with a 3''
downpipe. If I were you and I AM NOT, I would take your $25.00 and build your
self a 3'' downpipe and try it out. Hold on real good, this time the tires
will be alot higher off the ground.

Later....Nick