Re: SVO: **911** my freakin clutch cable broke!

At 02:35 PM 11/29/97 -0500, FFASTSVO@aol.com wrote:
>Last night about 3am my clutch cable (mot probably that little piece) broke
>and left me in second gear.  Screw it, I'm getting an adj. clutch
>cable/quadrant -  whatever you call it.  Now, What is available for the SVO's
>and what is the absolute best?  If a better product rewuires me to go under
>to the car to adjust it--I don't care.  Thanks. -Eric

Eric,

The little 2" cable piece you're talking about is the E6ZZ-7535-A "CABLE"
and sells for about 9 bucks or less. I also recommend you replace the two
"C-clips", D5FZ-2861-A "LINK" and they sell for about $2.50 each or less.
Both should be available through your Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer.

I don't know all the applications of the cable, but I was told by one Ford
parts guy that the link was also a part used for the rear brakes on a Pinto
(hence the D5 or 1975 part number). Unfortunately, both items are often NOT
stocked.

For all of you who don't know what these parts are, I suggest you order
them next time you go to your dealer -- because if you don't think you've
replaced them, it will be cheap insurance to have them handy and ready for
next time you install a clutch, or next time you have to crawl underneath
your car. Also, be sure to apply a dab of lube to each end of the cable. I
have been stranded twice in 100,000 miles -- once for the cable, and once
for one of the links. All were replaced recently when I did my clutch.

Now for the other half of your question, some bad news....before you invest
in the adjustable clutch quadrant kit, know that the quadrant kit as sold
by Classic Corral in Sacramento, Calif. still does not fit the SVO properly
(despite their claims that their modification works -- there are three
[unhappy] SVOOA members in two states now in contact with Classic Corral
trying to rectify the situation). Now for the worse news, that quadrant kit
still retains this troublesome 2" cable and the two links on each end.

As far as other manufacturers, hopefully the list will have some suggestions.

Good Luck,

Jim Dvorak
(Temporarily Offline Until Next Week) http://www.mustangsvo.org ***
http://www.fordcarclubs.org