Best core motor year

What is the concensus on the best year motor to get when looking for a
core? My vote is for either the '87-'88 TC for the hardened head and late
manifolds (although the turbo isn't necessarily as desireable as the
Garrett).

It's my understanding that the short blocks were all the same for all '83
and up turbo 2.3s so the head, intake, exhaust, and turbo are the only
things that changed.

I ask because I am looking for a core, and the early Merkur and TC blocks
go for a lot less than the later TC/SVO blocks around here.

Cory