Re: SVO: Burning oil

At 04:28 PM 12/2/97 -0800, Andy Haydock wrote:
>My car has been burning oil for a while and for quite some time I thought
>that I just needed to do a valve grind and while I was at it I would have
>the turbo rebuilt (hasn't been touched in 10 years).  But the more I think
>about it the more I believe that the valve guides are fine but it is the
>turbo.  Here are the symptoms:
>	1.  When the car is started up it burns a little oil.
>	2.  During hard acceleration it burns oil.
>	3.  Once the car is warm it doesn't burn oil unless it idles for about
>5-15min.
>	4.  During freeway driving very little to no oil is burned (e.g. The car
>burns 	     	     ~1qt. of oil (city driving) every 250 miles, but on the
>freeway I can go for
>  ~600miles without needing to add oil).
>	5.  It seems like the more I use the turbo the more oil I burn.
>
>Its that last symptom that leads me to believe that it is just the turbo
>that needs to be rebuilt.  The engine has been meticulously maintained, oil
>changed at least every 3000 miles, all work done by FLM dealers with
>original parts.
>
>Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Andrew

Andrew,

A few of the guys can atest to the fact that I'm no genious when it comes
to turbos, so I want to say that, but don't ignore the possibility of that
being at least part of your problem.

Remove the corrugated hose that's connecting the air box to the turbo --
there should be just a little bit of "blowby" oil in there -- maybe like a
teaspoon -- or the surface just a little wet. That should be reasonably
normal. If it's more like a tablespoon you could have a problem. (Not very
scientific am I? Let the other guys give you input on this.)

My other suggestions are as follows:

When the valve seals (not the guides) are old, they can crack and this is
the most common cause of oil burning upon startup. It's a hard rubber (or
rubber-like material) and they are like a bottle cap. They get old and hard
and brittle and crack and chip. Usually if this is the only problem, you'll
only see a blue puff of smoke (or in extreme cases, a cloud) upon startup.
Rough guess, but I think I could safely say that it should be expected that
most guys would need theirs replaced every 4 years or 48,000 miles or so up
to 6 years or 72,000 miles.

When the oil pan gasket is old (hard, brittle, etc.), and especially under
boost conditions (or hard accelleration) you can lose oil and it will just
start burning wherever it hits anything hot, like the CAT. I believe
sometimes that if the car is moving the oil stays just cool enough to not
burn, but if the car is sitting, the engine and the exhaust will tend to
get just a little bit hotter, and thus you'll experience a burning
sensation. You really need to try to identify any such oil leaks around the
engine and exhaust.

My guess is that it's the valve seals AND the oil pan gasket.

Good luck!

Jim Dvorak
(Temporarily Offline Until Next Week) http://www.mustangsvo.org ***
http://www.fordcarclubs.org